There are many ways to get around Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort. We have used the theme parks transportation, Uber/Lyft, and renting a car. Renting a car for your Walt Disney World or Universal Orlando vacation is an easy process, and probably our favorite.
Once you exit your plane, you will head to luggage on Level 2. Once you grab your luggage, head down to Level 1 and go to the car rental desk. There are several to choose from and we booked Alamo. We had to provide our return flight information or pay a $300 deposit. Once you complete the rental process, you will exit the airport and go to the crosswalk for your vehicle. The staff will tell you the process to get your vehicle.
There are a few important things to remember.
- You will pay a nightly parking fee at your resort.
- You will be billed for toll roads. (Usually, a month later and will be separate charges from the rental)
- You can park for free at your Walt Disney World theme park because you have paid for parking at your resort.
- You will pay for parking at Universal Theme Parks, even if you are staying at resort.
- Construction around the theme park areas is always evolving and a consistent change. Please know the area you are driving and remember safety.
Pro Tip: Always do a video and take photos with your phone to confirm the condition of the vehicle when you picked it up. Keep these until after you return the rental.